Tuesday, February 12, 2008

RIP Stever Gerber (1947-2008)


Yesterday, Stever Gerber (pictured above) of Howard the Duck fame, passed away from pulmonary fibrosis. And while I am an avid reader of the medium, I can honestly say that I've never read the series that he created and that really defined him. I was just moving into junior high and didn't want to read a book about what looked like Donald Duck in a human's world since even as a 11 year-old, your allowance only went so far. As as I first hear word of his passing late yesterday, I was sad but I still thought that he was more of an icon to older people than myself.

Then I read this heartfelt post by Mark Evanier and as I was reading, I became aware of how Gerber was there during my formative years. Gerber's resume included such great cartoon shows like Plastic Man, G.I. Joe and Dungeons & Dragons; all shows were hallmarks for kids of the late 70s-early 80s. But to find out post mortem that this man was basically responsible for creating and making Thundarr the Barbarian truly hits home how influential he was and makes my initial dismissal of Howard the Duck all the more superficial. Which is why the next collections I get is the Essential Howard The Duck.

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: